Most printer vendors regularly update their device drivers to support the latest versions of Window. But manufacturers usually forget about old models of printers. As a result, when moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10, some users find that the printer driver, which worked normally in Windows 7, turned out to be incompatible with Windows 10. Do not throw out the printer because of this? In this article I will explain how to install an unsupported (incompatible) print driver from an earlier version of Windows on Windows 10.
As an example, we will install the Windows 7 driver for a rather old HP 2010 printer.
- Connect the printer to your computer (via USB, LPT !!, or make sure that the printer is accessible via the TCP/IP network);
- If you have previously tried to install an old version of the printer driver and the printer doesn’t print with it, be sure to remove the old driver before installing it in compatibility mode. You can remove the printer driver in the section Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers. Select the Printers section and click on the top menu «Print server properties». Click the «Drivers» tab, select the printer driver and click the «Remove» button. Also remove the programs that may have been installed during the driver installation;
- Right-click on the driver installation program file (*.exe) and select the «Troubleshoot compatibility» item;
- Select the “Troubleshoot program” item;
- Check the box “The program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won’t install or run now” and click Next;
- Select that this program worked fine in Windows 7;
- Click on the button “Test the program”;
- The program will ask for permission to install;
- Install the program;
- After completing the driver installation, make sure that a new printer appears in the system.
If you don’t have the printer driver installation file, but only a set of INF, CAB and DLL files, you can install the driver like this:
- Install the driver by right-clicking on the INF file of the driver and select «Install»;
- In the Settings panel, run the new printer installation wizard. After the end of the automatic search, select the option “The printer that I want isn’t listed”;
- In the Add Printer wizard, select the option «My printer is a little older. Help me to find it»;
- Wait until the wizard finds the connected printer (make sure the printer cable is securely connected to the computer);
- Select a printer, driver and try to print a test page.
Now you can use your old printer (you can even share it), despite the fact that its driver is not officially supported by Windows 10.