Like other Microsoft products, MS Office 2013 is available under the VL program (Volume License). We remind that Volume License is a licensing option for corporate products that allows to purchase one registered license which can be used to activate a limited (or unlimited) number of copies of a software product. A Volume License does not dispense from the necessity to activate software. However, it is easier than the activation of a retail version, and this procedure can be managed centrally. We’ll talk about how to activate new Office 2013 on the corporate licensing program Volume License.
Office 2013 supports three types of Microsoft product activation in an enterprise environment:
- Key Management Service – KMS
- Multiple Activation Key (MAK)
- Active Directory-Based Activation – ADBA
AD-based activation of Office 2013 is available for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 only, while KMS and MAK are available both in Windows 7 and Windows 8.
It should be noted that during Office 2013 activation with a KMS not only Office (Word, Excel, etc.) and Lync (now goes with Office), but also products like Visio 2013 and Project 2013 are activated.
Now we will consider all the ways to activate Office 2013 for corporate customers.
Active Directory-Based Activation (ADBA) of Office 2013
It should be reminded that the opportunity to activate Microsoft products with Active Directory appeared in Windows Server 2012. The function that allows to activate Windows or Office is called Active Directory-Based Activation – ADBA. When using ADBA, an Office 2013 client uses the existing Active Directory infrastructure to activate the product. I. e. if Office 2013 is installed on a client computer with Windows 8 and a VLK (Volume License Key) is used as a key, Office will activate automatically after including this computer into the AD domain.
How to Install Active Directory-Based Activation Support for Office 2013
- Download the Microsoft Office 2013 Volume License Pack from Microsoft Download Center webpage (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35584)
- Run the downloaded file (English version — office2013volumelicensepack_x86_en-us.exe) with administrator permissions on Windows Server 2012 with the Volume Activation Services role
- Open Volume Activation Tools console from the Server Manager snap-in.
- Check Active Directory-Based activation.
- Then enter the KMS (KMS Host Volume Activation Key) that your company has received and, optionally, its name.
- Now you have to activate the key in Microsoft (online or by phone)
After you completed these steps and the replication was successful, Office 2013, Visio 2013 and Project 2013 with a volume license will be automatically activated with the AD directory service.
KMS Activation of Office 2013
Activation of Microsoft products with KMS server uses a client-server model in which there is a central node with the KMS node role. KMS is installed and activated with a VL key on a chosen server. Later all clients of this server connect not to any of the Microsoft servers, but to this central server to activate.
In general, KMS-activation of Office 2013 doesn’t differ from the activation of Office 2010. The only thing that should be noted is that in Windows Server 2003 the support of the KMS-server for Office 2013 is now absent.
When activating Office 2013 in KMS, the product is activated for the period of 180 days, and from time to time the activation status is renewed. Remember that to activate Office 2013 on the KMS-server you need to have at least five clients.
KMS Support Installation for Office 2013
Windows Server 2012 uses a special graphic tool to manage a KMS-server – Volume Activation Tools. To get an opportunity to activate Office 2013 on the KMS-server, you have to install Microsoft Office 2013 Volume License Pack (like with the AD-based activation), select Key Management Service (KMS) as the type of activation in Volume Activation Tools, enter the CSVLK key and activate it in Microsoft.
If there are no servers with Windows Server 2012 in your company and only servers with Windows Server 2008 R2 are available, you won’t be able to use Volume Activation Tools.
- To get support for Windows 8, Windows Server 2012 and Office 2013 activation on the KMS-server with Windows Server 2008 R2, you have to install a special update : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2757817 (or KB2885698 for Windows 8.1 and Server 2012 R2).
- Download and install Microsoft Office 2013 Volume License Pack (see the link above). Click Yes when asked Would you like to enter a Microsoft Office 2013 KMS host product key and proceed with Internet activation now?
- Enter the enterprise VLK key for MS Office 2013
- The system connects to the Microsoft server and, if the connection is successful, a message of successful installation and activation of Office 2013 key appears.
- The current Office 2013 status on the KMS-server can be checked using the following command
cscript slmgr.vbs /dlv 2E28138A-847F-42BC-9752-61B03FFF33CD
Activation of MS Office 2013 with a MAK Product Key
A MAK key is used only once to activate Office 2013 on the Microsoft server online. Each MAK key can activate a certain number of systems determined by a corporate agreement. I. e. each MAK activation is added to the total number of activations on Microsoft servers.
There are two ways to activate Office with a MAK key:
- MAK Independent Activation. Each computer on which MAK activation is going to take place has to be connected to the Internet. This means of activation will suit the company with all computers joined into a corporate network.
- MAK Proxy Activation. The activation requests from clients are sent by a special proxy server that can be configured using VAMT 3.0 console.
So, MAK keys are better to use either for the computers outside the corporate network/seldom log on to it or if the number of editions to be activated is less than five.
Office 2013 Keys for KMS Activation
You should understand that the way to activate Office 2013 depends on the type of the installed key. All computers with the volume license have a KMS key preinstalled (to be specific, this key is called a GVLK – Generic Volume License Key). This allows to simplify system deployment in the corporate environment, because there’s no need to enter a product key on each computer. If Office 2013 is installed with the KMS key (GVLK), it can automatically find and activate itself on the KMS-server or in Active Directory infrastructure.
In the next table KMS keys for Office 2013 and its components are given.
|Product||KMS (GVLK) key|
|Office 2013 Professional Plus||YC7DK-G2NP3-2QQC3-J6H88-GVGXT|
|Office 2013 Standard||KBKQT-2NMXY-JJWGP-M62JB-92CD4|
|Project 2013 Professional||FN8TT-7WMH6-2D4X9-M337T-2342K|
|Project 2013 Standard||6NTH3-CW976-3G3Y2-JK3TX-8QHTT|
|Visio 2013 Professional||C2FG9-N6J68-H8BTJ-BW3QX-RM3B3|
|Visio 2013 Standard||J484Y-4NKBF-W2HMG-DBMJC-PGWR7|
You can set a KMS key and check the activation status of Office 2013 with OSPP.VBS script, which can be found in one of the following directories depending on the OS bitness and Office version:
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14
- C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14
You can change the key type from MAK to KMS using the command:
cscript ospp.vbs /inpkey:xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
KMS-server can be set manually as follows:
cscript ospp.vbs /sethst:kmssrv.contoso.com
You can run manual activation on the KMS-server with the command:
cscript ospp.vbs /act
A current activation status can be seen using the command:
cscript ospp.vbs /dstatusall
Grace period is granted for the volume Office 2013 products, while it is not available for retail products, i. e. you have to enter a valid key and activate your product during the installation.